Re: Dashpot oil

To: "Steve Carter" <steve@juggler.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil
From: "Aaron Johnson" <fpspitfire37@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:21:52 -0700
Steve,

I used Marvel Mystery oil on my TR6 and it's always worked well.
No dashpot oil is bad for a street car, however for performance engines or
race motors no oil is preferred.  On the spitfire I run with no oil or spring.
I want the piston to go all the way up as fast as possible.

The test that needs to be done is a relationship between viscosity of the oil
and speed with which the piston rises and how this relates to mixture at part
throttle, full throttle and no throttle.  What you are looking for is a weight
of oil that makes YOUR car in it's present state come off of idle well under
load and no load.  At full throttle is doesn't much matter what the weight of
the oil is as the piston will be all the way out no matter what...it's just
how fast do you want it to get there...trial and error I guess.

Aaron Johnson
#38 F-Prod Spit Mk IV Oregon Region SCCA