too much fuel pressure?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: too much fuel pressure?
From: "Paul Meyer" <paulfmeyer@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:22:05 -0500
Hello again everybody.

In my last post, I explained that my stock ZS carb had given up the ghost,
and 3 rebuilds had not been able to resolve the main problem - that of raw
fuel overflowing from the carb vent after a few minutes of running.

I replaced the carb with a new Webber DGV 32/36 and was amazed that it
started and ran quite well - for a few minutes.  While waiting for the
engine to reach full operating temp, I observed that raw fuel began to drip
from the secondary, and then the primary.  Once it started the car began to
belch and cough.

I have a mechanical pump - one I paid a little extra for back in April.  3
rebuilds and now a new carb is having a similar problem.  Oddly, I've put
several thousand miles on the fuel pump and old carb before this started.
Could the pump have suddenly begun putting out a higher pressure? or am I
simply incapable of checking a float height correctly?

How many votes for swapping the fuel pump?

Other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Paul F. Meyer

Home Phone:    781-551-8574
Cell Phone:       781-883-0961
e-mail:               paulfmeyer@msn.com

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!