RE: Looking for A-Type OD and Transmission

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Looking for A-Type OD and Transmission
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:59:37 +0200
Big saloon/TR gearboxes and thanks for the info Randall.

Are the same applicable to the smaller Spitfire/Herald/GT6/Vitesse gearboxes
?

Also, while I'm thinking relatively straight, can the 1600 Vitesse 6 (Sports
6) non-o/d mainshaft be replaced with the o/d mainshaft and d-type overdrive
from a Spitfire Mk1 -Mk3 o/d gearbox ? FWIW part numbers for Vitesse 1600
and early Spitfire overdrive mainshafts appear to be the same (o/d mainshaft
part number for both models = 208142 and d-type o/d unit part number for
both models = 306553).

The Vitesse 1600 ( Sports 6 in USA) gear ratios seem to be much closer
together than the Spitfire (Mk1 - Mk3) gearbox gear ratios. It would seem
beneficial to use these ratios with the Spitfire four cylinder engines. Am I
correct?

Might be possible to use the Vitesse 1600 gearbox in the Spitfire4 (aka
Mk1). I know the bellhousing must be changed to the Spitfire type. Anything
else ? Pro's and cons ?

Not sure how the Vitesse ratios will affect power, speed and fuel
consumption of the early Spitfire. Anyone any ideas?

Chris de Wet .
" South African home for unwanted and neglected Triumph cars and parts "
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
'56 TR 3
'62 Herald 1200 Coupe
'64 Spitfire 4 (Mk1)
'65 Spitfire 4 (Mk2)
'67 GT6 (Mk1)

? Vitesse 1600 Convertible (HB 8346 CV) ....... possibly soon.

" Triumphs are meant to be driven .... oil paintings are meant to be shown "