Delco CS130 alternator operation (triumph application)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Delco CS130 alternator operation (triumph application)
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net"
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:56:11 -0500
Is anyone familiar enough with the Delco CS130 style of alternator and its
operation?  I replaced the old 10Si in my Spitfire with a new CS130 style
because its slightly smaller, bolts in the exact same mounting location
without modifications (connector excepted, but wired the same with a
warning lamp and sense lead), plus has a higher rated (105 amp) output.
But the regulator operates differently or so I have read, and it that is
the problem  I think
When the engine is first started, it shows a healthy charge (ammeter) that
slowly diminishes, as any normal alt I presume should, voltage is at 14.5
volts.  After a few blocks the charge indicates almost 0 (still not
unusual) but at idle if the lights are on then it shows a discharge of
about 6- 8 amps  (now remember the old Delco 10Si would show a charge of
about 2-4 amps during the same conditions) the puzzling thing is that the
lights do NOT dim, and the voltage is around 13.5 volts.  While driving as
the RPMs increase the amps meter will go from a slight charge to a slight
discharge, again without the headlights dimming or getting brighter  Is
this a normal charging procedure for these alternators?  Voltage never
drops below 13 volts.
I know that the charging is Pulse Width Modulated on these  but it
disturbs me to drive with the ammeter in the discharge area! To me that
means that the alt isnt producing enough to charge the battery AND run
everything -
The alternator checked out good at the local AutoZone, but I still think it
suspect  Wiring is unchanged from the old 10Si style, which worked just
fine, its just a little bigger  Any ideas cause I am running out of them
and ready, reluctantly,  to put the old 10Si back on?

http://mail2web.com/ .