Re: 70 spit w/ Stromberg

To: jrice@iosinc.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 spit w/ Stromberg
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 18:47:26 EST
In a message dated 11/20/2003 6:36:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jrice@iosinc.net writes:

> I've been watching Adam's writings on the switch of his Stromberg to the
> twin carbs on his 70 spit.... what's
> the motivation in the change.  I've read as much as I can on these cars and
> it sounds like the Stromberg is pretty reliable , seems to deliver pretty
> good power and doesn't take a genious to keep tuned.  I've been rather
> conservative so far on any changes....

All else being equal, this is a relatively quick, simple and not very
expensive way of gaining about 10-15% power. SUs are really quite simple in
and of
themselves, not difficult to set up (balance) and care for, and (I know some
will laugh) are pretty reliable. And face it...twin carburetors look way
cooler
than one. ;-)

There are other factors (especially when you're talking about adding SUs to
an otherwise stock late 1296 or 1500 Spitfire motor), but the bottom line is
easy, bolt-on horsepower.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.