RE: Rubber Bushing Removal

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Rubber Bushing Removal
From: "Daniel Parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 14:12:01 -0500
I received a half-dozen descriptions on how it should be done.  Thanks to
all.  I just completed the removal of two of the bushings from the upper
A-arm.  Took only 1 minute each using this technique (which is a combination
of several suggestions:

1. I placed the upper a-arm in bench vice with longest portion of bushing
facing upwards.  I clamped the vice on the main body of the a-arm, with the
wide bushing end just above the jaws of the vice.
2. With small propane torch, I heated the bushing area for about 15 seconds.
I had a damp rag handy in case the rubber catches fire.
3. I used a 3/8-inch ratchet wrench extension (about 4 inches long), and
used a small hammer to strike the inner metal tube of the bushing assembly.
This pushed the bushing and inner metal tube out in one piece.

Thanks!  Without your help, this would have taken hours!

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga