RE: >>NASS Starter motor question

To: "'nass@yahoogroups.com'" <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: RE: >>NASS Starter motor question
From: "DASHWOOD, Dean, FM" <Dean.Dashwood@rbos.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:08:09 -0000
Ok, so far I've had three replies - two suggesting that these symptoms
wouldn't be caused by the starter failing to disengage, and one saying that
they could be.  So here's some more information:

The engine in question is actually an aeroplane engine, and is fitted with a
"Starter warning light" which illuminates when the starter motor is engaged.

In the recent cold weather, we've found the engine very difficult to start.
To start with, it doesn't fire at all.  Then, once it fires, it runs
extremely roughly, and only for a few seconds at a time.  After a number of
runs like this, it then starts up and runs fine, and will re-start without
problems for the rest of the day.

The last time I started the engine, I saw all these symptoms, and also
noticed something else: in the few seconds while the engine was running
rough, the starter warning light was still illuminated, albeit not as bright
as when the key is in the "start" position.  Within a second or so of me
noticing this, the engine quit again, and the light went out.  I turned the
key again, planning on keeping a close eye on this light - but unfortunately
(or fortunately, depending how you look at it) the engine started up fine
this time, running normally, and without the light staying illuminated.

So the question is, did I halucinate seeing that light?  I couldn't check
again for the rest of the day, since the problem only occurs when the engine
hasn't been run that day, and I haven't been back to have another go since.
After reading the responses from you guys, I'm starting to form the opinion
that the problem is *not* caused by the starter, but that some other problem
is causing the rough running - and possibly the fact that the engine is not
running properly is causing the starter to not disengage properly?

Thanks again,

Dean