RE: Speedo problems; turn signal relay vs. flasher unit

To: <drsnydr@comcast.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedo problems; turn signal relay vs. flasher unit
From: "Chris Foster" <cfoster@eppcon.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:09:48 -0500
>Anyhoo, here are my issues.
>1)  The speedometer doesn't work.

Unfortunately, I can't help too much with the second issue... however I
can suggest an alternative for the first issue.  I found the simplest
way to solve this issue is to by-pass the service interval indicator.
There is a longer single cable that will reach from the speedo around
the firewall and connect into the transmission tunnel following the
existing path (I believe it is for the Mark IV - not positive).  The bad
news with this approach is it becomes nominally more difficult to
connect everything up as there is slightly less slack; I would recommend
connecting the speedo first and the transmission side second if you can.

I have been told that you can do the transmission side of the connection
on a hoist, but I found it easy enough to remove the center transmission
cover to connect it.

2) All 4 turn signals don't work!

All I can offer here is that the turn signal relay (at least in my
"modified by PO" '76 spit) is located just above the radio mount.
Currently I am using a $5 2 wire relay from Canadian Tire and it has
been working quite nicely for about 2 years now.

Good luck!
c.

Chris Foster (cfoster@eppcon.com)