Re: Body prep -- Primer

To: "Ed Hamilton" <h_edward@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Body prep -- Primer
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@COX.NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:05:01 -0500
At 03:12 PM 1/14/2004 -0500, Ed Hamilton wrote:

>I visited the local Auto Body Restorers Supply Shop today looking for a
>recommendation for a good epoxy primer.  The guy highly recommended
>something called "Slick Sand".  Apparently it goes on quite thick (8 mils)
>and will fill 80 grit sanding marks.  Further, he says it sands quite
>easily, etc., etc.  After which, a more conventional primer/sealer must be
>applied.
>
>Has anyone had any experience with this product??

Ed,

Not that particular product, but I used a polyester primer by Evercoat called
"Sand and Fill".  It's a high build primer that fills 36 grit sand scratches.
There is a similar product by Transstar.  Both are about the same price,
$55/gal.

I've used 1 gal of each on the acrylic body of my Bricklin.  Again, it covers
very nicely and is quite workable.  I then covered it with PPG's 2K primer
K36.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic