Fw: I amaze myself..... two types of studs.... dried brake

To: <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Fw: I amaze myself..... two types of studs.... dried brake
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:21:07 -0500
 I've got a ton of  old parts in the cabinets. I usually never
 throw anything away as I always find a way to make
 something out of old pieces to perform some task of
 fix some other assembly.

 While finishing up Thirteen's rear brakes, after installing
 new rear shoes... I realized one of the studs was mangled.
 Well what do you know... three extra hubs in the cabinet...
 I'll press one out and replace it.  Yeaha right!  I'll be a
 son of a b___!  The studs are NOT the same! the lug nuts
 don't even match!  But what's this?!!  I've also got the
 correct nuts for the wire wheel adapters... and they fit
 these studs.... but they're NOT like the other three!
 ...one more  roundtail, squaretail anomaly resolved/noted.

 OK...I put it all back together and get ready to bleed the
 brakes.  What... damn... bllled screw is stripped.   OK  I get
 it out anyway. Press the brak peddle to bleed.... no fluid.
 What!  The peddle has pressure.  I REALLY stomp on it...
 still no fluid...even with  the nipple completely removed.
 So what's going on.

 So I rip out the flex pipe.  OK... fluid drips from the frame
 mounted hard line.  So I figure the old flex hose has simply
 swelled and closed itself off. I can't even run a mig wire
 through it.  WOW!  It's not swollen... the rubber is in great
 shape. no cracks and very flexible.  Christ!  HAS ANYONE
 EVER SEEN BRAKE FLUID TURN TO WAX!
 I disected the hose and the material is like old dried WAX!
 And these people were driving this Spit up till mid last summer!

 well I don't know what they were from... I thought my old
 Midget. Well what do you know....the ends look like
 thes Spit hoses! well I'll be ...GLAD AGAIN I never
 chuck stuff.  At least I've got new hoses to install.

 anyone ever have any experience with cheap or old
 brake fluid turning to solids???!!!!

 Paul Tegler
 ptegler@cablespeed.com
 www.teglerizer.com