RE: induction pickup for spark plug wire

To: "'Spitlist'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: induction pickup for spark plug wire
From: "Gene Eighmy" <w4eae@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:19:58 -0600
Since the voltage is pretty high, the induction pickup can be as simple
as some magnet wire coiled around the HT lead.  If you just wanted to
light up some LEDS, you could drive some opto-isolators and tie their
outputs to LEDs.  You may even get by with driving a transistor directly
as long as you clamp the base with a zener.

If you wanted to get real fancy, you could run the 4 pickups into a
micro and slow down the LED transitions until you got something that
looked cool.  You could also have it latch a misfire warning LED when
one cylinder misses.  Wire up a LCD and you could even display RPM... a
shift-now light... bar graph RPM indication... even a flux capacitor
control for time travel!  Oops... got carried away...

Gene
'79 Spitfire 1500
'88 Jeep Cherokee TSV http://webpages.charter.net/eighmy/spitfire