bottom end question 1500

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: bottom end question 1500
From: "Todd france" <triumphspitfire74@lycos.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:37:16 -1000
Hi well anyone who remembers me I feel bad as I've forgotten the names of most
who have helped me in the past, nothing personal I just have an aweful memory
for faces and names.

  Here is where I'm at, I am transplanting the 1500 engine I got from bill
gingrich into my spitfire this weekend. I dare not hope it is running proper,
but from what bill was told it should be, and if it is great! My old engine
tore up the bottom end and I will be rebuilding it this summer. I took the
bottom of the new engine to check that the bottom is tight, and it is much
tighter than my old one which had rods with about 1/8 inch freeplay on the
crankshaft from the back to the front (of the car) sorry my tech talk is poor
I'm sure..... so now to the point and the question, The new engine has a very
tiny bit of play in comparison on each rod end, between .381mm/.015in to
.432mm/.017in that was with sticking a feeler in there it was in there tight
for these measuremnents and the .432 was only on one rod, the other 2 were
.381 and one was .406/.016in   Are these values exceptable for a good running
spit engine? and if not are they so over the limit that this engine would prob
ibally need a new crankshaft?  and finally does any of this make any sense? :P
if not please help me make it make sense. I want to put the engine in on
payday/friday, but have no qualms with oredering new bearing and doing the
deed, or god forbid choosing which engine to throw a new crankshaft in.

  thanks, sorry I'll get better at this in time.

     Todd