79 Spit High Idle?

To: "nass@yahoogroups.com" <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: 79 Spit High Idle?
From: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:03:40 -0500
Hi Spitsters!
    I recently purchased/stole (cheap & clean) a 1979 Spit. Other than
to start it & run the engine before buying, I have only flat bedded it
home. I am planning to take advantage of some predicted warmer weather
in the Northeast an start doing some work on it this weekend.
     One of the most obvious issues I already know of is that is idles
very high (about 2000 rpm's). I am pretty familiar with the carb's &
manual choke on my 76 TR6. But the automatic choke on the 79 Spit is
something I am not "up on". I have not really investigated so far yet,
but am guessing the high idle is related to a possible problem with the
auto choke? I am also guessing it is a water choke?
    My only question is... is there a quick check procedure for
verifying the action of the water choke?
    Thanks
    Bob Greene
    76 TR6, 79 Spit.
    CCBCC