Drinking oil

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Drinking oil
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:14:48 +0100 (BST)
Listees,

Probably a simple answer to this... and I think I already know it... but
as usual I'd like your opinions!

My engine is drinking oil... simple as that... a good litre or more in a
month! Now, I don't think its leaking anywhere - although for some reason
it sometimes leaks a bit when pointing downhill and sitting on the camber
of the road... thats only a possibility though!

Now - what are my options? - and what should I check for first?

Anything I can do to prolong the life of the engine a bit further? Any
measures I can take to try and stop the leaking?

I don't fancy removing the engine right now... not something I really want
to do quite yet... and as its my daily driver - I really need something to
replace it with!

I know the engine is probably well worn in - using a dial gauge thru the
spark plug hole to find TDC - there was a certain amount of slop on the
piston.

Perhaps I need a new engine - time to rebuild one, something I keep
telling myself I will?

James

69 Signal Red Spit