Re: frame

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: frame
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@COX.NET>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:59:27 -0400
At 08:35 AM 7/2/2004 -0500, Larry Vaughan wrote:
>I got the tub off my '73 frame. The motor, trans and drive shaft are out. I
>want to clean this one up, before I dismantle it. I could pull it to good car
>wash, with a tow bar.
>
>I took the '77 frame apart and cleaned up the pieces. Unfortunately, the
frame
>was rusted through along the axle area, where the rear extentions were welded
>on. Safety bumper you know.
>
>My worry is that I will fill the frame up with water that I will never get
out
>and the rust will start it's build up with gusto!

Larry,

I ususally send my frames out to be sandblasted.  Trying to do it yourself
is doable if you have a pressure blaster, but very time consuming.  When
I did my Bricklin frame it cost me about $125 including renting a truck
to haul it.

I usually don't have the blaster prime it, as there is usually some rust.

When I get it back, I wipe the entire frame down with phsophoric acid, it
will convert any surface rust and protect the metal for a while (depending
on if it's in a garage or not.  Then I look at the rust holes, make patch
panels and weld them in.  I then paint the exterior with POR15.

Now for the inside of the frame.  If you can find one of the old plumber's
snakes that used to sell for about a $1 with the round metal head on it,
cut it to the length of your chassis.  Chuck the cut end in a power drill
shove the snake into the chassis and turn on the drill.  The ball beating
around inside will clean it up.  Slowly pull the snake out.  When done,
use compressed air or a vac. cleaner to clean out all the junk inside the
frame.

Then mask over any mounting holes with masking tape, and pour POR 15 in.
I've had to put an old sock on the end of a rod to work the POR 15 around
in the frame.  Turn the frame over and apply more POR15.

If you can't find a plumbers snake check Harbor Freight for an electrican's
wire pulling tape.  On sale you can get them for $10.  Cut this to length.
If you get one with an end that looks like a paper clip you maybe able to
get some nuts onto the end.  Good pull tapes will have a screw head and
take a metal spring bulb end.  But these are expensive.  Get the end and
cut the tape to length, and use as the plumber's snake above.

John

them paint it

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic