Cool Heater

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Cool Heater
From: Dale M Osterndorf <osternd@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:19:17 -0400
Slowly but surely I'm getting my PO problems rectified on my '78 Spit I
recently purchased.  I think the worse one so far was 1.8 pints of tranny
fluid missing from the transmission.  My current "issue" is a heater with
low output.  I've done everything from flush/back flush/compressed air,
modified heater valve, changed thermostat (180), cleaned out air passage
thru heater, etc.  While it has gotten better, it is, IMO,
unsatisfactory.  The radiator temp does not seem to get about 160 deg
(cap off).  The radiator cap was a 7# cap and I've changed to 15# and
hoped that might make some difference.  Any ideas as to why the
heater/radiator temp is low?  As far as the heater core, there seems to
be good flow thru the heater, both air and coolant wise.  Do Spits just
have poor heaters?  My TR6 will burn you up on a cold day.

TIA

Dale O