Re: Pertronix Woes

To: durieb@union.edu
Subject: Re: Pertronix Woes
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:14:25 -0400
Possibly you have the two wires from the Pertronix mixed up?
if the ballast resistor is smoking it sounds like it is
getting a full 12 volts across it, which means
that one end is grounded somehow.

Or maybe the coil is internally shorted out?

Another suggestion:  Put the points back and fix whatever
problem was originally present.  Points are very simple.
There is nothing that can go wrong with them that you cannot
see.  A sealed electronic device like a Pertronix can
fail in ways that you cannot detect without electrical test equipment.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

Quoting durieb@union.edu: