A real Spitfire Reunion

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: A real Spitfire Reunion
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:07:02 -0700
Folks,
After just getting back from Triumphest, I am writing to propose that we
Spitfire and GT6 owners start thinking ahead towards 2012 when the
Spitfire will celebrate its 50th anniversary.

I am thinking that if we all start planning now, we can have a serious
effect on someone's event (or events) that year.

While it is a bit much to expect that someone will drive all the way
across the country to attend a specific event, we can at least show up
in numbers at the local or regional events and prove that there really
is strength in numbers.

Specifically, I was thinking about Triumphest as one event worth doing.
It requires no membership in any club to attend, only registration and
the fees.  This year, I am sad to say that the Spits and GT6's were
segregated by distance from the rest of the triumphs and that upset a
lot of people.  I really didn't think about it at the time but in
retrospect, it does show the lack of respect that we often get.  If we
make a point of all showing up (no matter what the condition of our
cars) we have a real positive effect on how our cars are viewed.

I don't know where the event will be held that year, but it will be
somewhere in the west since it is sponsored by several West coast clubs
on a rotating basis.

I am thinking that if we have enough cars preregistered, we can
influence the people putting on the event to have some special classes
and/or events set up specifically for Spitfires.  It is likely that we
can have the featured model be the Spitfire since it is that magic
golden anniversary.

In the meantime, we should all start getting used to the idea by
attending as many events as we can and establish our power by having the
most cars at the particular event.

I encourage all thoughts on the subject.  If we start thinking about
this now, by the time 2012 comes around (if we and our Spits are still
alive) we can have a dramatic effect on these events.

Regards,
Joe