strange flashers

To: "CARS nass@yahoogroups." <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: strange flashers
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:22:10 -0500
OK.... To me anyway...the electrics of these cars is perhaps the easiest
thing for me to fix (30+ years experience as an electronics design
engineer, robotics and software automation control)
But this one's got me stumped.

I just finished unwrapping, repairing, and re-wrapping the fried harness
in the Black Beasty ('70 GT6+)  Only the BRN wire from the solenoid
to the key switch was fried. I had a spare harness, so I totally replaced
the wire. I ohmed out every wire and varied there were no shorts or other
melted wires.  What started this?   Believe it or not, the car started
and ran fine, I just didn't trust, or like the p.o's repair work.

Now the strange part... before as well as after.... if you turned on the
emergency
flashers...the ignition light, turn signal indicator and one other light on
the dash
all flashed, but only one turn signal out front flashed.  Turn on the
ignition,
and the flashers both work correctly.

So after many hours of farting around, I isolated the problem down to the
flasher switch itself.   MY PROBLEM is..... I have no idea what's going on
with this switch. I'm beginning to believe the p.o. 'modified' this switch
or
something.  This is the older style rocker switch not the 'pull' type.
It's simple enough to understand that in one position, the emergency flasher
mounted up by the horn relay on the firewall, drives both sides flasher
lights (WR and WB)  When off, the flasher behind the passenger side
glove box should drive just one side, via the turn signal stalk.

The problem here is with the ignition off, the ignition light will flash
with
the emergency flashers. That kind of makes sense as the green ckt
is being supplied 12V via the flasher fed of the purple ckt. (loop back)
But turn on the ign., and the flashers work as expected, without any
'weirdness'.  so I'm a bit lost here.

WHAT I NEED....    If anyone has a spare old style rocker emergency flasher
switch, I'm wondering if you could do me a favor.   Could you test your
switch and tell me what terminals are actually connected together
in each of the two switch positions. Since the p.o. 'played' with mine, I'm
beginning
to believe he replaced the innards in correctly, or this isn't the right
'variation'
for this model year.

Checking the schematics, I've found versions that match what is in this
car. This car has the separate tach fascia mounted turn signal idiot light,
the center dash mounted emergency flasher indicator, and the 'three'
terminal
version of the flasher above the horn relay.

thanks.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com