Re: late spoiler

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: late spoiler
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:14:18 -0500
I have several 1980 & 79 Spitfires.  Some of which still have the oem
spoiler.  In my experience, the hysteria over the "need" to have the
spoiler in order to prevent overheating is absurd.  My coldest running
Spitfire has no spoiler of any type on it, and it's a 1980 with the
original skinny radiator and electric fan.

The last of the spoilers were very sloppy fitting.  Some have the ends
tight, many do not.  Almost all have lost the cloth center strap on the
back of the spoiler that keeps it from sagging.  Install it if you wish,
but don't expect miracles to happen from it.

There is a plate that can be fabricated  that fits under the front of
the car and radiator to prevent air from spilling off below the
radiator.

In my observations and experience, those late model Spitfires that are
prone to overheating almost invariably have a poor radiator with missing
cooling fins and corroded off coolant passages.  This damage is most
consistently located at the bottom of the radiator.  My rather cold
running 1980 Spitfire has a perfect radiator and fan.