RE: rad fan noise

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: rad fan noise
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:53:27 -0500
>From: Tim Schuh <tim@ugly.net>
>To: spitfires@autox.team.net
>Subject: rad fan noise
>
>I'm unsure if the fan clutch is working correctly or not.  It seems to me
>that the fan is making an aweful lot of noise even when cold.  I hear more
>fan than exhaust noise and this just seems unnatural to me.  Is this normal
>or should I take a closer look at the clutch assembly?
>
>Tim Schuh

It's hard to say.  The later spitfire engines got to be pretty quiet with
a factory exhaust system, especially if you have a catalytic converter
further muffling the sound.  I guess I can hear my fan, as well as an
intake snort, some valve clatter, a leak in the exhaust manifold etc.
That's part of the "charm", at least to me!

If you suspect the viscous clutch, checking it is as easy as turning it
by hand and making sure it moves freely.  By the way, I wouldn't
expect the engine temparture to have any effect on the fan noise
as the fan clutch is not in any way temperature sensitive.

Best!

Greg Rowe