RE: Complete Loss of Electrical

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Complete Loss of Electrical
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:54:28 -0500
I had this happen 150 miles from home in the middle of nowhere with no cell
phone service.  I even lost my four way flashers.  Luckily it was daylight,
not
raining and warm.  It turned out to be one of the connectors to the solenoid
had popped loose after hitting a particularly nasty pothole.

Even with a bad ignition switch, you should be able to start and run the car
by running a jumper wire directly from the hot side of the solenoid to the
one side of the coil (I think it's the + side) and engaging the starter with
a screwdriver across the two heavy lugs on the solenoid (or push starting
the car).  I drove mine for a week like that once while waiting for a
new ignition switch to come through the mail.

Best!

Greg Rowe