Christmas time repairs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Christmas time repairs
From: Spitfire 1500 <s1500@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 00:23:43 -0600
Just to prove the hustle & bustle of the holidays affects me in different ways,
99% of the day
was spent on automotive-related issues.

First off, this '05 MINI Cooper S is so much fun to play with. The paddle
shifters and me screwing it
up makes me feel like Jeremy Clarkson. To show my appreciaction to the
dealership, I gave it a good 'ol
fashioned hand-washing. Mind you, lighting in the garage is not so great, so
all the spots I missed
showed up when I took it outside to clean the floor.

Okay, good news, I got that bearing end cap off. A little tap on the shaft with
a block of wood & hammer,
and some wiggling and it was off. After some fidgeting, the thrust washers were
out. Getting 2 of them
out, looking at some horror stories seems to be a good thing, ie I had 2 to
take out, not any missing.

Man does oil have some amazing cohesive properties. The big end bearing
shell(still need to measure it)
snaps right into the cap amazingly well. Like magnetics.

Anyways, I got the thrust washers out and decided to call it a day. Then I
thought, what the heck,
did some more painting of the ragtop(this ragtop skeleton's gonna be
beautiful), and measured with
the digital caliper.

.092 inches for the front & rear. Brand new(standard size) ones: .092 inches.
Ugh. I did all this
thrust washer work for nuttin'. Oh well, peace of mind I guess. Still need to
check out the piston
conrod shells.

The question I bring to the forum: With feeler gauges, how would one mesure the
crankshaft endfloat? I've
read descriptions, but I think I need a picture here on where to stick the
feeler guages. I only have feelers
, not that fancy thing with the magnetic base. I assume checking conrod side
clearence is as easy
as sticking a feeler between the cap & crankshaft(?).

Ah fun fun fun.

===     http://www.vtr.org