RE: About to pick up a GT6 MKI

To: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: About to pick up a GT6 MKI
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:59:35 -0000
Todd,

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your purchase!!  May it give you and
your wife many years of driving pleasure!

Yes, you are definitely in the right place.  This list may be called
Spitfires, but it really covers Spitfires, GT6s, and Heralds and
Vitesses too.  There's no shortage of friendly advice, moral support,
and knowledge available within our members.

GT6 doors are essentially the same as Spitfire doors apart from the
quarter-lights - although they do vary from year to year, with different
door mechanisms.  However, don't go thinking you can just buy a complete
Spitfire door assembly and bolt it in, 'cos the windows are different.
I guess you might be able to buy a Spitfire door and fit the
quarter-light and window from a GT6 (not sure if this is possible), but
just getting a GT6 door assembly would likely be easier.  I guess you
are in the US (or you are up VERY late at night in the UK!!), I don't
know the best place to look for S/H doors in the US but I'm sure other
list members will have an idea.  eBay is probably a good place to start.

I've never rebuilt a gearbox, but I understand it isn't that difficult.
Many owners swear by the Bentley owner's manual (manual published by
Bentley publishing, not a manual for those who own Bentleys!!), so
that's probably a good place to go for instructions on how to do it.
One advantage of the Spit/GT6 design is that the gearbox can be removed
from inside the car, without removing the engine, and without any heavy
lifting equipment apart from a standard jack (or two) and a willing
friend.  Easier on a Spit, however, without the roof to bang your head
on...

I guess the TR6 gearbox should fit to the engine, since the GT6 and TR6
engines are versions of the same engine.  Whether it will fit under the
transmission tunnel I haven't the foggiest idea.

Hope this all helps somehow!

Richard Gosling

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return E-mail
and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
E-mails are susceptible to change.

The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

===     http://www.vtr.org