gasket thickness and cam position

To: nass@yahoogroups.com
Subject: gasket thickness and cam position
From: "TEGLER,PAUL" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:21:10 -0600
While replacing my front engine plate I've run into a
quandary.  The old plate to block gasket was the pinkish
colored rubbery style. Measured about .041" thick. The
only replacement I have in hand here is the thicker, black
harder papery type that is roughly 0.138" thk.

My question comes in regards to one of cam wear. If I use
the thicker gasket, it'll move the engine plate out almost
0.1"  This will require the cam to come out this same
amount (cam retainer staying in the cam groove). So what
effect will this have on cam lobe, tappet wear patterns
that are already there????

Yes... I do realize that I'll also have to use a few shims
behind the lower (crank mounted) timing chain pulley to
line it back up with the cam pulley.   But my biggest
concern is changing the wear pattern of the already broken
in cam.

Anyone have any idea who carries the original style 'pink'
colored thinner gaskets for this interface? (usually
called a lower conversion set)

any ideas...suggestion... or am I worrying about nothing.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com

===     http://www.vtr.org