Re: Longflo air cleaners

To: Larry Vaughan <ljvaughan@pldi.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Longflo air cleaners
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
--- Larry Vaughan <ljvaughan@pldi.net> wrote:

> Has anyone used the Longflo air cleaners from Vicky
> Brit? I bought a
> pair because they were cheaper than K&N. They don't
> look very efficient.
> I've noticed some new brands lately that are similar
> to K&N but cost
> even more. It makes paper attractive but I can't
> find them to fit HS4's
> or Weber DCOE's.
> Here's a pic:
> http://ljvaughan.homestead.com/myspitfire.html
>
> Larry

Well, I bought the same filters for my GT6 from
Warshawsky (now known as JC Whitney) many years ago
off their clearance rack for $5.99/pair.  They were
foam filters and worse than the paper filters so far
as I could ascertain by my fanny dyno.  I was not
disappointed when they were stolen off my car, but
amused when I found them in the weeds not too many
yards away.  Apparently, the thief realized that all
that glitters is not gold. Never bothered w/them
again.

FWIW, one of my formula cars had foam filters on it
because the rear axle would interfere w/the K&N
filters that are available for those carbs.  Dyno
results indicated that the filters were a significant
negative.

If your Longflo's are foam as mine, I'd try something
different or settle for less than optimal performance.
FWIW, I've managed to adapt, w/minor fabrication, all
sorts of filters using the carb side, stock mounting
part of the air filter housing; properly sized screws
and a bit of sheet metal to block off the center holes
and provide an attachment for the mounting screws.

HTH,
Charlie

===     http://www.vtr.org