Need a good carb reference manual

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need a good carb reference manual
From: "David" <popeye444@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:53:03 -0600
Team Spitfire,

While the engine rebuild on the GT6 goes to the machine shop I'm turning my
attention to the 69 Spitfire driver.  I just got this car so I'm doing a top
down check on all the major systems.  When I got to the carb I hit some dead
ends that stopped me cold.  All I'm trying to do right now is a general tune
up on them but the Haynes Manual says stuff like "Remove the retaining
screws and withdraw the dashpots and pistons" and "Screw up the jet
adjusting nut on each carburettor until each jet is flush with the
carburettor bridge".

Now all my previous Spitfires had Weber Carbs and never really needed
anything.  So I'm very new to this and don't understanad terms like
"carburettor bridge" and where the heck are the "retaining screws"?  The
Haynes manual has pretty good diagrams but for someone new to these carbs
they only have to omit one item in the diagram to totally lose me.  They
probably show these in the diagram but don't have a number pointing to it
and a name that matches the text.

So my question is not how to tune the carb, but can anyone recommend a good
manaual for me that is better than the Haynes?  "LBC Carbs for dummies" or
something like that.  One that doesn't expect you to already know some of
the simple terms, because I don't.  I have two cars so also a book that
addresses both carbs would be a bonus so I only have to buy one book.  I
have a 69 Spit with SU HS2 dual carbs and a 67 GT6 with Stromberg 150CD dual
carbs.

David Gates  (Popeye444@comcast.net)
Shelton, Washington
1967 GT6 Comm#KC5188L, Engine#KC5598E
Undergoing full frame off restoration
1969 Spitfire Comm#FDU47651L, Engine#FK30801UE
Driver, rough but it drives and getting better every weekend

===     http://www.vtr.org