Help: Engine Rattle

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help: Engine Rattle
From: "Chad G. Edwards" <C_G_Edwards@Yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:11:00 -0500
I'm hoping that my fellow SpitListers can save me some time by giving me
some hints on where to start. On Tuesday I was participating in a local
Auto-X with Winfield, my 1980 Spitfire. Unfortunately at one point I blew a
2-3 shift and redlined the engine. After that it started making a sickening
rattling sound that was very evident and in time with the engine RPM. The
sound is coming from the front of the engine, but I can't really discern if
it is more from the top or bottom. I removed the valve cover and checked for
any obviously bent push-rods (all could be spun easily). I also drained the
oil and check for any metal bits (none were found).  While I know this isn't
much to go on I was hoping that maybe there were some recommended "check
this next" items that people could suggest.

I was thinking that my next course of action would be to either pull the oil
pan off and check for any metal pieces in there and check the rod bearings
OR pull off the head and check all the valves. Which one is more likely to
be successful as I would prefer to tear as little of the engine apart as
possible. Or should I be looking elsewhere to start?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Chad & Winfield
Manitoba, Canada

===     http://www.vtr.org