Re: A quote on the swing-spring

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A quote on the swing-spring
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 23:38:34 -0000
Jim

It's worth commenting that the Herald as first designed as a prototype used
upper and lower wishbones at the back as well as the front. That interfered
with the body floor pan requiring it to be much stiffer than in fact it was.
They then fiddled around with semi-trailing arms as per later saloons and
TR4a onwards but this required a much stronger chassis outrigger that had a
major weight and cost penalty and in the end they went the way they did with
a transverse leaf. One day, I hope to dig out all my Dad's production
development reports on the three years leading to Herald launch. They made
interesting reading many years ago. I guess they would today.

Cheers, Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org