Re: Headlamp housing

To: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>,
Subject: Re: Headlamp housing
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:00:20 -0800 (PST)
Don't those three bolts simply screw into tapped holes
on the die-cast headlight surround?  If they won't
come out, the holes have probably gotten stripped.
You may just need brute force (e.g. vice-grips) to get
them out, and you should probably get the holes
heli-coiled afterwards.

If you are trying to work on a Spit without any sort
of workshop manual, you are causing yourself much
unnecessary pain!  At least get a Haynes manual, which
is pretty cheap and fairly good.  For something like a
restoration as opposed to simple meantenance and
repair, my favorite is a book with a long title
by Porter and Williams.  Search for ISBN 0854297286.

Also check out
http://www.triumphspitfire.nl/books.html
They mention some other promising books I haven't
heard of before.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org