New Independent rear "pictures"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: New Independent rear "pictures"
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:44:19 -0800
Well for what it's worth, I have modeled a rough assembly of what the "new"
fully independent rear setup for the Spitfire I was talking about would be
in Solidworks.  Keep in mind the goal is for the least amount of
modification to the existing structure, and cost (gee, just like the
original manufacturer!!).  At any rate, it would use the existing mounting
points for the shocks, radius rods, etc.  It is worth noting that there are
no conventional lower A-arms, but the half shaft (which is fixed in length
and does not slide) doubles as both the driving member and A-arm.  The
radius rods still function as before.  This is a true fully independent
setup.  My only concern is if the spring would supply enough lateral
resistance to keep the wheels from excessive toe in when pushed hard, but
it would probably be no worse than the current setup.  I suppose that
another radius rod could be added to the top at the spring mounting point,
but would require modification to the wheel arch structure for the other
mounting point, and is probably not necessary anyway.  The U-joints are TR6
equivalents (To get away from the puny Spitfire units, and larger 3110
items could be used, but it starts to get pretty tight.  Plus I do not see
any real advantage as far as strength is concerned).  The diameters of the
cups are the same and the only difference is the length which is about 3/8
loner for the 3110 U-joints.  I have some jpgs of the assembly if anybody
is interested in what it would look like I can also send a E-drawing if one
can utilize it.  Let me know if you have any file size restrictions, and
I'll adjust them accordingly.  The original files are about 150kb each in
size (approx 1100 x 800)
Barry Schwartz
La Mesa, CA (San Diego)