1500 Fuel Pump

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 Fuel Pump
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 18:20:40 -0500
Hey gang,

My 77 Spit 1500 hasn't been run in probably 2 yrs.   So today, I went out
to tinker on her. After some preliminaries, like pulling the plugs, putting
it in 3rd gear and pushing the car to make sure the engine was free, then
disconnecting the high tension lead to the dist. and spinning her up to get
some oil flowing I tried to start her.  No fire.  I gave her some starting
fluid and she fired and burned it off.  So I dropped the float bowl and put
some gas in there and tried again.  She fired and ran.  I then disconnected
the fuel line going to the carb. to see if she was pumping anything.  No
juice.  So we jury rigged a lawn mower gas can to the carb. and she took
fuel.  So then we tried to connect the gas can to the input of the pump.
But no pump!

I pulled the fuel pump and disassembled and cleaned it.  Reassembled it.
Now she pumped but it is linking out around the bolt that holds the top of
the pump in place.

Now that you have the story, I'll move to the questions.

When I disassembled it, I removed the top, and then the screws that hold the
top and the diag. in place.  I had to tap the top part to break it loose.
When I removed the top 1/2 of the pump, sitting on top of the metal disk
was a small round (possibly hex shaped) black dot, a round metal collar or
tube, and a small spring.

I have no idea of how or where these pieces go.  There is a hole in the top
with a metal column coming out.  I put the spring over that.  Then the round
collar seemed to fit there also, but I have no idea of where the black dot
goes or what it does.  I checked all my Spitfire manuals and they don't show
the parts under the top 1/2.  All they show is the filter on the top and the
gasket.

1. Any one know how and where these 3 pieces, the spring, collar, and black
dot go?

2. Is there supposed to be any type of O ring around the bolt that holds the
top of the pump to the pump housing?

If anyone wants more info, I can pull the pump and disassemble and take
pictures.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

TIA

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic