[Spits] Shipping a "heavy" item from England -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] Shipping a "heavy" item from England -
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:27:17
I won an ebay auction for a heavy metal item (4 Kilos about 9 lbs) but the
post there has quoted the sender about 75 GBP (around $108).  That seems
awfully high to me - What is the preferred method for sending something of
this nature from England to the United States (Southern California)  Surely
it should cost less than that to send this item - I had a Quaife sent,
weighing probably about the same or possibly even a bit more, and it didn't
cost any where near that much.  And it arrived only a couple of days after
I ordered it, so it wasn't on the slow boat - - granted, it was probably
around 10 or more year ago, but things haven't gone up that much--have
they??
Barry Schwartz
La Mesa, CA (San Diego)