[Spits] John Macartney's Triumph TransAmerica drive

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] John Macartney's Triumph TransAmerica drive
From: george.r.parker@att.net
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 12:00:31 +0000
I was very priviliged to welcome John to Virginia at Moss Motors' new facility
just south of Richmond.  John and "Uncle Jack" arrived around 1:15, and while
John coordinated some spares for the car, I coordinated lunch with the wife
back home.  We got back up to our house around 4pm and, as noted on John's
site, my wife had a terrific spread set up for us.  And my friend Matt had
arrived w/ his Rolls (also noted on John's site).

I'd just like to add a few words about that Rolls.  As a die-hard sports car
guy, I never thought I'd be interested in a car like that, but it's REALLY
NEAT!  It has the V12 engine and one of only 3 (I believe) Hooper bodies
(though there were about 715 Phantom III's built).  Matt has made huge strides
in improving the car over the past few years.  While the body still wears the
patina of its age, functionally, everything works.  The thermostatically
controlled vanes in front of the radiator, the "intercom" between the rear seat
and the driver's compartment, the "trafficators" in the B pillar, electric rear
window shade, etc.....  As I said, it's a NEAT car!

In addition to "Uncle Jack" and the PIII, we had an early and a later TR-6, a
TR-250 w/ surry top, and my Spitfire, which, alas, had to remain in the garage,
as I was unable to get it running well enough for this drive.  So I drove the
lone piece of Japanese "iron" - but the spirit was there!

To echo what Chip Krout wrote on John's website, everyone who is able really
should take the time to meet up with John (and don't forget the
contributions!).  We heard some interesting stories over lunch, but I'm sure
there are MANY more!  If only there was the time....
--
George P.
Ruther Glen, VA