Re: Hello; Glycol and Silicone

To: bufton@tenet.edu, ltturner@cococo.net
Subject: Re: Hello; Glycol and Silicone
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 00:21:50 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-10-19 13:37:36 EDT, bufton@tenet.edu or someone wrote:

<< Can someone tell me (and Frank and
 > everyone else I've asked) just why you can't mix dot 4 and dot 5?
 > Everyone says they can't be mixed, but no one can tell me why.  >>

I have a can of DOT 5 Silicone brake fluid here that sez in 3 places that it
is compatible with DOT4....I would not mix the two, however if you did,
nothing bad is going to happen.  Silicone brake fluid does NOT cause spongy
pedal syndrome.  I just got home from 200 miles in the Napa valley and had
firm brakes all the way.  My 1275 powered MG TA has had silicone brake fluid
for 10 years now, my other 4 LBC's have silicone....It always amazes me the
myths that have built up about this fluid.  I would bet that the last natural
rubber brake part was used by George Eyston in 1947 shortly after Britian
lost control of Malayasia.....!

The bottom line is pick a fluid and stick with it.....If you like having the
paint peal off your backing plates and fire wall, use DOT4 or LMA.

Cheers,
Terry