Cylinder sleeving.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Cylinder sleeving.
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:19:31 -0400
Cc: sierrasa@psln.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Forwarding the whole thing to the list - hope you find it useful.  If
interested, Joe's e-mail is included so contact him directly...

Brian

Date:Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:14:55 -0400
>From: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln1.psln.com>
>To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
>Subject: Re: Tool questions
>
>Brian Evans wrote:
>>
>> Joe, another private mailing list that I belong to is having quite a thread
>> about resleeved brake master cylinders, including size changes (7/8 to 3/4
>> inch is the application).  List is for owners of Austin Healy Sprites and MG
>> Midgets.
>>
>> You and I chatted about this one time - would you care to send a small
>> discussion of what you do and why, and prices, so that I can pass on to
>> those on the spridget list?
>>
>> TIA, Brian Evans
>----
>Brian--I've attached my standard blurb about cylinder sleeving. Delete
>the part referring to alternators, and edit/cut as you see fit. You're
>welcome to e-mail or call with questions, or forward messages from your
>list if you like. I'd be happy to participate or contribute. If it's not
>too active, or is available in digest form, I could subscribe if you
>don't mind, at least for a while. Are we talking about the double-barrel
>combination clutch/brake masters? You are undoubtedly aware that they
>come in both those sizes. The smaller bore will give better braking for
>the same pedal effort at the cost of increased pedal travel. Both sizes
>seem to be used with 7/8" wheel cylinders.
>
>Joe
>--
>==brake cylinders sleeved with brass==
>==One-Wire conversions and rebuild          "Very funny, Scotty. Now
>  kits for GM alternators 1963-85==         beam down my clothes."
>          ==Quincy, CA==
>

>Thank you for your interest in our services and products.  One-Wire
alternators are particularly convenient when upgrading old generator or
external-regulated alternator systems, and can be used on cars, trucks,
tractors, and industrial equipment--or any engine on which the alternator
can be mounted.

>       Our One-Wire Conversion Kits and Rebuild kits fit the Delco 10SI and
>12SI
alternators which were standard on GM cars and light trucks from mid-1972
through the late 1980s.  We offer the kits in three versions.  The One-Wire
Conversion and Rebuild Kit includes a self-exciting one-wire voltage
regulator, front and rear bearings, diode trio, condenser, brush assembly
with brushes, output terminal kit, case screws and a plastic plug to dress
up the regulator terminal opening.  The Alternator Rebuild Kit is similar
but has a stock voltage regulator and does not have the dress-up plug.  The
rebuild kits will fix almost all alternators that have not been burned up.
The One-Wire Conversion Kit is for alternators that do not need rebuilding,
and includes the self-exciting regulator and dress-up plug only.

>       We also offer a rebuild kit for the Delco 10DN alternator used from 1963
through mid-1972.  This kit includes front and rear bearings, one each
negative and positive diode, condenser with retaining ring, brushes and
brush holder, ground and output terminal kits, and case screws.

>       All bearings, regulators, diodes and diode trios are top-quality
made-in-the-USA parts. All kits include complete instructions. Price of 10SI
One-Wire Rebuild Kits and 10DN Rebuild Kits is $34.95. Price of 10SI Stock
Rebuild Kit is $29.95. Price of One-Wire Conversion Kit is $14.95. Please
add $4.00 per order for shipping and handling. We accept Mastercard, VISA,
American Express and Discover cards. Quantity pricing on request.

>YOUR BRAKE CYLINDERS ARE RUSTING AWAY!
>
>Water enters a hydraulic system through the hoses, around the cups and into the
>reservoir when the cap is off. This moisture is absorbed by glycol brake
fluid and
>causes the rust and pitting in master cylinders, wheel cylinders and clutch
slave
>cylinders. New parts begin to deteriorate as soon as they are put into service.
>
>The moisture problem can be reduced by using silicon brake fluid, but
silicon fluid
>has its own problems. It is quite expensive, and tends to entrain tiny
bubbles of air.
>This air can cause a spongy brake pedal that isn't corrected by bleeding.
>
>It doesn't even help not to drive the vehicle. Moisture will enter the
system whether
>the vehicle is in regular use or not, unless it is stored in temperature
and humidity
>controlled conditions. In fact, inactive systems suffer worse pitting
because the
>water droplets are not moved about in the cylinders as the brakes are applied.
>
>Sierra Specialty Automotive has the solution to these problems. We can line
your
>old, pitted cylinders with non-rusting, non-corroding brass sleeves. We
bore your
>cylinder oversize, install the brass sleeve, hone it to original size and
redrill all fluid
>and bleed holes. We also clean and bead-blast the cylinders so they look
like new.

>The cost of this service is little more (and sometimes less) than the cost
of a new
>cylinder. You will have new-looking parts that last indefinitely after you
install
>inexpensive rebuild kits from your parts store or vintage parts supplier.
In fact, you