RE: First Outing

To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: First Outing
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:04:28 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry G. Miller wrote:

>Took Bugeye #1 out for its first extended run since completion of the
engine
>rebuild.  All driving to this point had been limited to runs of a couple
of
>miles or so for tweaking purposes and oil leak checks.
<SNIP>
>If I kept driving it would go for a minute
>or two (one time it kept up until I slowed down and pulled over but didn't
>stop) and then start running o.k. again for a few miles. Every time I
stopped
>it would be running perfect.
<SNIP>
>These things are sold with the 1275 in mind so does the 948 require a
larger needle to >provide less fuel?  How about a pressure regulator,
should the Weber have one, could >the fuel pump (new electric) be providing
too much pressure?

Larry, if it starts stumbling after a run at speed, but starts running fine
after a few minutes at idle, it almost sounds like the fuel pump isn't
keeping up with the carb's consumption of fuel  (i.e. it can keep up at
idle, but at speed it just cant keep enough flow up).

Another possibility is that your coil is on the fine edge of flaking out.

Just some ideas to think about.  This may be a tough one to diagnose.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net