Monty --> New midget (rear end work)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Monty --> New midget (rear end work)
From: mathysj@kenyon.edu
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 15:36:39 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Monty,

  Welcome to the list.  I was initiated to midgetdom in much the same way you
were.  Here is my advice, and I am sure you will find some one on the list to
echo the sentiment.

  Re-bush the rear end (~$10-20) a 90 minute job
   - rear shackle mount (close to gas tank)
   - between the leaf springs and the shock mounting

  The improvement in ride feel is well worth the money.

  Shocks:
  Several different schools of thought (in order of relative cost):
   (a) top off the oil in the shocks (frequently, if there is a leak)
   (b) install remanufactured shocks ~80-90 each (any confirmation)
   (c) go with the SPAX conversion to gas filed tube shocks

  I went with (a) for the front end shocks.  I'm happy with my choice.

  Note:  The front shock serves as the upper control arm for the ride and
steering of the midget.  This was a second reason to go with a remanuf. shock.

  If the car has been setting for 17 years.
  (a) replace rubber bushes
  (b) install remanuf. shocks (?)
  (c) check the rear leaf springs: make sure they are tensioned equally.  By
this I mean at least the same number of shackles on each leaf spring.  You
might want to have them tensioned equally by a shop.

  Check the hydraulics and fuel delivery system after the midget's extended
sleep.

  Jeff