FW: RE: FW: oil leaks

To: spridgets
Subject: FW: RE: FW: oil leaks
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:43:44 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
[BOUNCE spridgets@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 65]

     Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 19:19:41 UT
     From: "Larry G. Miller" <millerls@classic.msn.com>
     Subject: RE: FW: oil leaks

Ulix

Yes I install the rear main seal and yes I kind of did it myself.  I pulled
the engine and bolted the rear  main cap and the new rear main cover from the
kit to the block. I then took the block to a machine shop and had the cap and
cover machined to be perfectly flush with each other and perfectly flat.  Well
I still have a drip about the same as before. So, No, In my case it was not
worth it.  I have received mail from team thicko that installed it on a race
engine and had good luck.  They did it by hand fitting using a belt sander. I
beleive that getting a rear main to not leak is all about luck and how the
original cap was machined or by whom it was machined or on what day of the
week it was machined.  I have done many spridget engines and maybe 1 out of 3
does not leak and the other two will. Les Meyer's article is very good but my
bet is that the results are not always repeatable.

Larry