Re: Treatment of dormant fuel system?

To: jphender@inav.net
Subject: Re: Treatment of dormant fuel system?
From: Gregory Kirk <gkirk@empirenet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 09:24:24 -0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
jphender@inav.net wrote:

> I come now to the fuel system.  I replaced the fuel line that passes
> thru
> the tunnel and will use new line in the engine compartment.  I am
> uncertain how to deal with the fuel tank (which exhibits a few flakes
> of
> surface rust INSIDE) and the fuel pump which has been dry for 10
> years.
>
> I have heard of "sloshing compounds" for sealing fuel tanks.  Has
> anyone
> used these?  Heard success/horror stories?  Are there better options?

I've ehard of sloshing compounds, but have no experience with them at
all.  Persoanlly I'd remove teh tank, and take it to a radiotor shop to
have it "hot tanked" wixh should get rid of the rust.  Rust in the line
is a major pain in the derriere as it tends to clog the fuel filter,
wich tehn needs to be repalced or if you use those purolator ones,
cleaned out.

Trust me sitting my the side of the road swapping out your fuel filter
is not LBC enjoyment at it's purest.

> Is my fuel pump likely to be "dried out"?  How do I test it?  Do I
> take it
> to a shop and have them check it's pressure?

 Give the current pump a go, but if it doesn't work, I'd just get a new
one.  The rebuild kit from moss actually costs more tan the pump (go
figure)

Greg
Mk1 Midget