Oil in the drum.

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil in the drum.
From: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:44:32 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This week's Midget mechanical challenge (at least in my garage:)

After  intermittent swishing and grinding noises from the right rear
when rolling, while waiting for my attention to the problem, my '78 left
a suspicious deposit on the garage floor by the left rear wheel  -
differential oil. Pulling the drum revealed a coating of oil on the
inner drum and a loose "countersunk screw retaining the half-shaft
flange." The oil has apparently come around the gasket while loose.

Does this mean my axle oil seals are bad?

Bearings?

 If yes, is this a doable job for the home mechanic? The R. Bentley
manual lists 6 necessary  special service tools. I have a hammer.

Should I hall my rear end to an expert?

I do plan to clean the drums and replace the shoes.

Thanks for any  advice you can give me.

Dave
Palmdale