Several questions

To: "Sprite List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Several questions
From: "Jeff Church" <jchurch@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:04:47 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi all,

Several questions I need answers for:

1) What is the best way to correct a cross threaded condition (~3 threads)
on the steering column in way of the steering wheel nut.  I had the wheel
off to redo the facia and put the nut back on obstensively   to protect the
threads. - Wrong!  Of course I bumped it a couple of times getting to
things. When I put the wheel back on, I began to honk on down on the nut
only to have it get very tight after about 3 threads. Cross Thread City. Now
I'm stuck. I know how to take the whole column out, but I do not know how to
correct the cross threaded condition.  Bummer.

2) What is the proper way to wire up a electronic (positive earth) tach? It
was working, but my mechanic, in a rather brusque effort to get rid of
"mystery wires", cut all of the wiring away except for the little bit that
loops through that sensing thingy on the back of the tach. I decided the way
to do it was to remove the white/black wire from the coil to the distributor
pigtail and replace it with a long wire going from the coil, looped through
the back of the tach, and then back to the distributor.  No luck there. My
mechanic tells me I need to go from the opposite side of the coil (white
wire), loop through the tach, and then to the white connection at the
ignition/lighting switch. I haven't tried that yet but I did notice another
tab on the back of the tach casing. BTW, the car is a '59 Bugeye so
obviously the BMC shop manual wiring diagram is of no help here. I have the
original mechanical tach, but alas, no correct generator or reducing cam
thing. I followed someone's instructions on how to use the original tach
face on an electronic tach. Looks great, but I can't get the bloody thing to
register. Bummer.

3) Does anyone have a good source for Webber DOCE parts? I have a 40 that is
perfectly fine except for the choke cable entry point.  The cable has to go
to the front of the carb and bend 180 degrees to put it in its fastening
hole. The cable does not like to do that (it has a solid wire core - not a
braided wire). Nor does it like to return the choke to the "rest" position
after pushing like hell on the knob. I understand that they make a "rear
entry" version of the choke clamping mechanism where it is a straight shot
from the firewall. My problem is I don't know where to go to get parts. If
you can't already tell, I don't even know what to call this mechanism. That
just enhances my situation. Bummer please.

As always, any and all responses welcome and appreciated.

Jeff Church
AN5L 11627

"I put instant coffee in a microwave oven and almost
 went back in time. "               - Steven Wright