12V848E engine questions

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 12V848E engine questions
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 21:52:33 +0200
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks to all the nice people who tried to trace
my engine.

Personally I think this unit is not from either a
Midget or Sprite. Horler's book and Moss' parts catalogue
show:

12V586F (1972)
12V588F (1973)
12V778F (1974), then they go on to the 1500cc units.

No mention of my engine prefix anywhere...

Apart from the twin HS2's and the Y-piece instead of a
breather valve, my engine has no oil filter head at all!
The oil filter cartridge (I use GFE-150) bolts straight
on to the engine block...

To give you an idea of how sluggish this engine is,
assuming the tacho shows correct RPM, at 4000 turns,
vehicle speed is about 95 km/h, heck, my plain 998 A+
Mini can pass the Sprite anytime !!!

One last thing. When the engine is cold, idle speed
is a normal (?) 850 rpm. When it warms up, idle rises
to about 1300 rpm. What am I supposed to make of this????

Regards
Evangelos Makris
66 MkIII Sprite