Re: Pertronix and Tachometer

To: Mark Endicott <endicott@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Pertronix and Tachometer
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 15:52:27 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mark Endicott wrote:
> The Midget (1275) now sports a new Pertronix Ignitor ignition module.
>
> I have noticed that the tachometer is  erratic, it bounces up and down
> somewhat wildly.  I would assume that the new ignition module is
> causing this fluctuation.

  Is it sort of correct if you take away the bouncing?

> And if so has anyone tried a capacitor from the
> coil (+) to ground to try to "smooth" it out?

  I wouldn't recommend it. The tachometer is supposed
to see the pulses, it more or less counts the pulses to
give you the reading.

  A capacitor would help in a situation like a fuel
gauge where it sees a DC level that mirrors the
physical situation, and a cap would take out the
spikes.

  Check all the wiring. I have a Pertronix in my 1500
with no ill effects to the tach. The 1500 and 1275
distributors are different electrically, but more
or less the same after the Pertronix install.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada