Re: Safety issues

To: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Safety issues
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:54:57 -0500
Cc: Adrian <adrian@utk.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ron Soave wrote:
> It's got to be done right, and I don't think the doors as they exist
> "stock" provide the means to do it right.  Any impact or shock follows a
> load path somewhere, and it will find a structural "ground", so to speak.
> In the case of the door, it will be those potmetal hinges

  If I am not mistaken, don't the later cars have side impact
beams?

  Maybe not up to current standards, but there is an additional
"catch" type device around the equator of the door that looks
like it anchors a rod end in the door. I was under the impression
that this rod end goes through the centreline of the door and
is the impact beam.

  My car is a 75 and has it, unsure what cut off year but it
seems earlier cars don't have this part on the rear of
the door frame.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada