Re: 1500 Engine WAS: Re: V6 in a Midget

To: adrian@utk.edu
Subject: Re: 1500 Engine WAS: Re: V6 in a Midget
From: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com (Phil Profili)
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 08:53:26 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> From spridgets-owner@autox.team.net Tue Dec  2 08:36:40 1997
> From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@utk.edu>
> Subject: 1500 Engine  WAS:  Re: V6 in a Midget
> To: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
>
> Here's a stupid question, but humor me.  How can an oil cooler aid a
> weak bottom end?  Are the problems all heat related?  And who makes a
> good bolt-on kit for the 1500?  I was already thinking about getting one
> anyway.
>
> adrian
>
> Phil Profili wrote:
>
> > It is a well known fact that the 1500 has a weak bottom end which can be
> > overcome by the fitment of an oil cooler - preferably early in the life
> > of the engine.
>

>From what I remember (and I don't have any literature with me) the problem
was a direct result of the oil overheating and becoming too thin due to
the increased load on the crankshaft over and above that which it was
(originally) designed to take.

I believe the weakness was at the big end bearings rather than the mains.

An oil cooler has always been a recommended fitment in articles I've read.

The one I fitted to my car was from Triumphtune in Richmond (I think
they're part of Moss Europe now).

I probably didn't make it clear though that my 1500 experiences were in
the UK where the 1500s are not fitted with emissions equipment to the
extent that the US ones are.  It may be that the decrease in horespower
stresses the US engines less so that this is not a problem over here?

 |.___/    ""-.____/ |      /| Email: pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com   |
<||  Phil Profili  __|-----<-| Phone: (770) 494 1287                 |
 |`,...____...---"'         \| 'scuse me while I fix my tie          |