Re: MACHINE SHOP WORK

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MACHINE SHOP WORK
From: Les Myer <lmyer@qtm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 18:49:51 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 02:28 AM 12/3/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone give me a typical OK price in a U.S. city for having the
>following done on a 1275 cc?
>
>(a) Cylinder honing (assuming I did not need reboring)
>(b) Cylinder reboring by 0.20"
>(c) Crankshaft taken down 0.10"
>
>Assume I did all the disassembly, delivery and pick-up.
>
>Your info will allow me to keep shopping around to a minimum.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Daryl

Plan on paying for hot-tanking and new cam bearing installation (mine had to
be honed to size).

The typical machinist has no experience quoting Sprite machine work, so he
will pad it very high if you press for an estimate (and you will end up
paying what he quoted).  My approach - find a machinist who actually really
wants to work on your engine (this is the true challenge) and pay him
whatever he asks when he is done.  If you act like you distrust them, most
people will stick it to you!  If you leave it up to them to be fair, most
people will be!  Works for me, anyways.

My machinist charged me under $350 to bore 4 cyl, line bore mains, resize
rods, install @ hone cam bearings to size, replace 2 valve seats and all
guides - grind other seats - install new valves/springs/retainers, surface
head, hot tanking of all parts, assemble pistons on rods, install rocker
bushings and hone to size, hone carb throttle bores for oversize shafts,
weld up exhaust header crack, polish crankshaft.  I never received an
itemized list of charges.

He also recognized that I had the forged nitrided crankshaft and refused to
grind it (it turned out to still be within factory specs after polishing) -
I knew nothing about this crank at the time.  This guy had everything from
motorcycle engines to John Deere tractor engines in his shop and claimed he
did all the "odd-ball" stuff in town.  He also said he was thoroughly
impressed with the little engine (crankshaft, use of studs everywhere, etc)
when I brought it in.  I believe he enjoyed working on it.  This is the kind
of machinist you want to find.

ps.  If you are interested, his business is located in Lincoln, Nebraska -
called "Mr. Machine".  He said he would be interested in doing more Sprite
motors when I picked mine up.  The quality of his work is top-notch but
don't plan on getting it back in a few days or for him to give you a quote.

Les Myer
PDLJMPR