Re: Wheel Cylinder

To: Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel Cylinder
From: Chas Douglass <chasd@halcyon.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 21:50:33 -0800
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Heather & Joe Way wrote:

> Chas Douglass wrote:
> >
> > "Newbie" question alert!  (I'm not really a newbie, I just haven't done
> > this for 20 some years...)
> >
> > Just got the new rear wheel cylinders in for my '60 Sprite.  They are
> > filled with a bright red goo.  Is this assembly fluid, to be left in?
> > Or just shipping protection and I should clean it out before assembly?
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA
> ----
> It is assembly fluid/lubricant and should be left in. It will make the
> cylinders last much longer. Regular fluid changes (at least every other
> year) will make them last even longer.
>
> Joe
> --
> ==brake cylinders sleeved with brass==
> ==One-Wire conversions and rebuild
>   kits for GM alternators 1963-85==
>           ==Quincy, CA==

Thanks for the info.  I probably overstated it by saying it is "filled"
with the goo.  The stuff is certainly spread a bit, tho!

Do people recommend using, in addition, "brake assembly fluid".  I
remember this is what I used to do 20 years ago -- in fact, I still have
a bottle of the stuff that must be that old!  Or is modern hydraulic
fluid good enough to do away with that step?

You guys are a great help, thanks!

Chas Douglass -- Seattle WA
'60 Sprite