Re: Sealer for polished parts

To: alan b fisher <hello39@idt.net>
Subject: Re: Sealer for polished parts
From: James D Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:43:57 -0600 (CST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
What I did was just sand my brains out with various grits (220-600) being
mindful of removing absolutely all imperfections before moving on to the
next grit.

It's important to remove major scratches/dings before starting the
sanding. I used a moto tool to grind out the big/deep scratches.
The hand sanding was done in a wash basin so
that I could keep the parts and the sandpaper wet.
Once done sanding I polished/buffed the parts on a bench grinder with a
felt wheel and red rougue polishing compound. This also takes a while,
continue until you notice the finish is even with no dull spots.
Final product hopefully is a mirror quality finish.

I also purchased new chromed bolts. The bolts along with the polished
supports add a nice look to a part of the Sprite that is often
neglected. The original finish/surface on the supports was a dirt magnet
and was next to impossible to clean.

While it was time consuming the finished product is well worth the effort.

Happy sanding!
Jim Rowan
60 Sprite