Re: Converting to Steel Wheels (plus Warning on half shafts)

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>, "John Nelson" <psychodad@cybersnet.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Converting to Steel Wheels (plus Warning on half shafts)
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 08:16:14 +1100
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Woh! You need to replace the banjo and half shafts, not the diff! You can
unbolt
your diff from the current housing and bolt it stright onto the steel wheel
housing.

Of course, if you wanted to swap over froma 4.2 to a 3.9 or 3.7 diff for
highway use
then it is a convenient time to do so, but *not* necessary...

The standard half shafts do fail, even on standard, non-comp cars. They are
not
over-engineered - remember that the mechanicals were originally out of a
baby Austin
and they didn't change over the years but the engines and (especially) tyres
have
changed a great deal... However, that doesn't that they fail all the time.
I'd be happy
using a second-hand pair of half shafts.

NOTE: try and get the replacement housing with the half shafts still in
place. mark them
LEFT and RIGHT and ensure that they are installed on the same side of the
car. If you
swap them over they will fail prematurely!!!!! (Ask me if you want me to
explain with my
Engineer's hat on). If you find a pair of half shafts out of the car, you
can probably figure
which is left/right by looking at the wear marks on the splines (the part
that slides into the
differential).

Mike
Mike Gigante                                       mikeg@vicnet.net.au